Monday, August 2, 2010

Historic Nauvoo... road trip!

At the last minute we piled in the car and decided to road trip down to Nauvoo this weekend. We drove down Saturday and made it just in time for the famous pageant. Which happened to be the last pageant of the year! We had a great time that night other than the fact that we were all eaten ALIVE by bugs and we had to drive almost an hour away to find a hotel that wasn't booked. The one hotel that had vacancy's was pretty disturbing. We piled into smoke filled rooms with bug catchers hanging from the sealing. lovely. Despite our interesting hotel experience we managed to have a great trip, visiting the historic temple and sites in Nauvoo and ending up at Carthage jail. It was a spiritual experience we will never forget. This is a once in a life time trip that everyone needs to go on! Nauvoo truly is beautiful.

Enjoy!


are we there yet?

on our way we crossed the mississippi river

we were welcomed at the pageant with bagpipes

imprinting the nauvoo logo on our log



the pageant ending

they lit up the temple it was absolutely beautiful

we had to literally wrap news paper around our
legs to stop the bugs from biting us

mmm... our yummy crepe breakfast

the whole group at breakfast

first we went to the visitors center

pioneer children sang as they walked and walked and walked


The BEAUTIFUL Nauvoo temple





our engagement pic... plus adam ha





Johnathon Browning

Browning Gun shop

We went to the blacksmith...

and got these cool rings!

one of the smith homes

Carthage jail



the dungeon where John Taylor hid under a mattress from
the mob. The straw stopped his wounds from bleeding and he
survived to be the third president of the church.



The exact window where Joseph fell out

The original door.. adam demonstrating hyrum
trying to stop the mob

the bullet hole that shot hyrum




Josh touching actual stone from the original Nauvoo temple

the same spot where Joseph died.. there was a truly
peaceful spirit here.

Praise to his mem'ry, he died as a martyr;
Honored and blest be his ever great name!
Long shall his blood, which was shed by assasins,
Plead unto heav'n while the earth lauds his fame.
Hail to the Prophet, ascended to heaven!
Traitors and tyrants now fight him in vain.
Mingling with Gods, he can plan for his brethren;
Death cannot conquer the hero again.

4 comments:

  1. What a great trip! I've always wanted to do this... can't wait to hear more about it! Hey, I just watched your wedding video on here, it's so good, and you and Josh have so many great pics together. So glad you got married in S.D. the temple looks incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! I'm so envious! I love the way you ended your comments. Joseph was truly the 2nd greatest person to live on the earth.
    Love you guys!
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. shan! you and Ty have got to go here! and thats so sweet of you,thank you! I am SO so glad we decided on that temple too.
    Dad I LOVE YOU! I would have done anything to go with you and our family here you guys would have loved it, we need to make that a goal to make it here together. I cant even tell you the spirit I felt was so powerful you can truly tell that Joseph was an amzing man. Love and miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete